Control Line Model Airplanes

Control line sport flyer's forum for musings, experiences, thoughts, obsessions, creative ideas, etc. Of course I would rather be flying.

Name:
Location: Walkersville, Maryland, United States

Old man.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Ukie 35

ARF? Sort of. This is the Ukie 35 from J&J Sales. A friend gave it to me to settle a debt. I decided to build it to try a foamy for a change. The wings do come pre covered. And the controls are all hooked up. The wings do have to be epoxied to the fuselage. I was able to do that, but they are not quite straight with each other. In retrospect, I should have spent more time refitting them to make sure they were straight before I epoxied them. However, the plane seems to fly alright. So I guess the fact that they are not quite lined up right doesn't matter much. I reinforced the wing-fuselage joint with carbon fiber veil for strength. I also built up the wingtip leadout guide for added strength. The red paint is a Sig Dope finish. The landing gear is a Brodak large profile landing gear kit because I wanted two wheel gear on this one. I also had to add an ounce of outboard wingtip weight. All in all it seemed like quite a bit of work to me. Not really ARF. One of these days I am going to have to build a Phil Cartier foamy kit for comparison purposes. In any case, I am very pleased with the flying characteristics of this plane. It turns tight and stays out on the lines well. It is very light. The large wing area means that it glides in for very gentle landings after the engine quits. In fact this plane has the best glide of any of my planes. It would make a good trainer or sport flyer for just about anyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home