Control Line Model Airplanes

Control line sport flyer's forum for musings, experiences, thoughts, obsessions, creative ideas, etc. Of course I would rather be flying.

Name:
Location: Walkersville, Maryland, United States

Old man.

Friday, June 24, 2005

Flying Session-Last Sunday-Crash!

Lesson learned. When rebuilding a very old Ringmaster, replace the old cloth hinges on the elevator. First flight of the day. Need for speed. Fired up the GMS 32 on the rebuilt Ringmaster. Took off. Did a couple pf loops. All of a sudden the plane was drifting up and down without any input from me. Then something flew off the rear of the plane. Then I had absolutely no control. Then the plane pancaked in at full speed. Oh, well... Wonder what happened... All I really know is that the elevator was separated from the plane in two pieces. And the split was at the former location of the old plywood control horn. I do not really know what happened, but I am guessing the old cloth hinges gave out first. Then the force of the air flow ripped the elevator at the old plywood control horn.
In any case, now I get to rebuild the S1 again.
The pictures posted are of the results of the crash. The plane is just as I brought it home from the field without any cleanup.
The Polycover wing covering passed with flying colors. I only have to recover one panel between two ribs. You cannot even see the split in the pictures.
I have since removed the engine and cleaned it. I had to remove the backplate, glowplug, and head. Then I had to swish it around in WD-40. Then I washed it in a bucket of soap and water. Then I flushed it under a faucet. Then I dried it, oiled it, reassembled it, and oiled it again. Hopefully it will still run well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home