Control Line Model Airplanes

Control line sport flyer's forum for musings, experiences, thoughts, obsessions, creative ideas, etc. Of course I would rather be flying.

Name:
Location: Walkersville, Maryland, United States

Old man.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Circulator 2 Primed!

The Circulator 2 is primed and ready to paint.
The wings are covered with metallic maroon Polycover. I wanted to test it on a foam winged plane. It seems to me the polyester fibers in the Polycover should add strength to the foam wing structure. I seem to have discovered that the Polycover can be used pretty well on a foam wing as long as the initial covering is done at around 225 degrees. And the tightening and shrinking phase is done with the iron set at around 250 degrees. I did try to set the iron around 280 degrees, but that is a little too hot. I have a couple of minor dents in the wing to prove it. Hopefully the next time I cover a foam wing with Polycover, I will be able to avoid overheating.
The balsa and ply part of the plane has one coat of water based polyurethane (Olympic brand) and one coat of Krylon water based primer. Two coats of Rustoleum Sand color will complete the finishing process.
In case you are wondering about the roundel insignia on the wing, it is a West Highland White Terrier Air Force insignia from WWII. Pictures to follow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home