Control Line Model Airplanes

Control line sport flyer's forum for musings, experiences, thoughts, obsessions, creative ideas, etc. Of course I would rather be flying.

Name:
Location: Walkersville, Maryland, United States

Old man.

Monday, December 20, 2004

S1A Ringmaster-Original and Rebuilt

Believe it or not both of these pictures are of the same airplane. I built it in 1993. It has hundreds of flights on it. This is probavly the seventh engine and tank setup. It has hit a fence during a landing after the engine quit. And it has hit the ground pretty hard a few times. And it has flipped over countless times.
But I rebuilt it this summer. The main requirement was to cut out part of the old oil-soaked and crushed motor mounts and replace them with fresh ones. This was done by using 3/4 in. wide motor mount stock for the replacements. This makes it easy to do. The only other thing I did was to sand the old finish on the part of the plane now yellow, then to give it one coat of old nitrate dope, and then to give it two coats of Red Devil polyurethane oil enamel. I also replaced the old tank mount with new bicycle spokes. I also mounted the engine on offset engine pads from Brodak.
All in all, it was a pretty quick and easy rebuild.
So now I have an old Ringmaster that looks better than it used to and flies better than ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home