Control Line Model Airplanes

Control line sport flyer's forum for musings, experiences, thoughts, obsessions, creative ideas, etc. Of course I would rather be flying.

Name:
Location: Walkersville, Maryland, United States

Old man.

Friday, January 28, 2005

Building the Sidewinder Special

The quality of the Bear Enterprises kits is terrific. The parts fit very well as received. And the wood was well selected. An easy kit to build straight.
The nose moment was chosen to allow for a large fuel tank and aluminum two-wheel landing gear.
The stabilizer and elevator are stock. This kit marks the first time I have sewn the elevator on with fishing line. I just wanted to try it. That elevator is also the largest one I have ever had on a plane this size.
The finish on this plane is a successful experiment. I read on a control line forum on the web one day that Stewart-McDonald water based Guitar Lacquer is chemically very similar to our clear dope. But it cleans up with water and is odorless. Fantastic! My family goes nuts every time I open a can of dope in the house because it stinks so much.
The wing of the Sidewinder Special is covered with Sig Coverall. The finish consists of three coats of Stewart-McDonald Guitar Lacquer, and two coats of Red Devil Polyurethane Enamel. The plane has about 15 flights on it now. And the finish still looks like new. So I guess I will not have to buy clear dope any more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home