Control Line Model Airplanes

Control line sport flyer's forum for musings, experiences, thoughts, obsessions, creative ideas, etc. Of course I would rather be flying.

Name:
Location: Walkersville, Maryland, United States

Old man.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Stooging in Walkersville

Good news. Two more flights on the Yankee Nipper. This time the needle valve assembly stayed together. The needle setting was fine. I fixed the needle problem by replacing the NVA with an O.S. R/C one purchased new from Tower Hobbies. The other part of the fix was to switch props. I switched to a Master Airscrew 10x4 prop. The larger prop resulted in lower rpms and I liked the engine behavior a lot better. And the speed of the plane was manageable. All in all, a good result. I am pretty sure I will be able to fly this thing often enough to get used to it.
The first flight was a fairly normal takeoff run. It actually took off level and reached flight altitude smoothly. I did a few climbs and dives. And I did an inside loop. And nothing fell off the plane. And the engine run was good. And the engine ran until it was out of fuel. So then I knew I finally have a working combination on this plane.
The second takeoff was a bit erratic. I had trouble getting the stooge to release. As it turned out, the stooge did release, but the string used to release the stooge also broke. The takeoff looked like a stair climb, but I got it airborne. The flight was good. I was feeling frisky so I did a couple of inside loops. Then I flew it inverted. Then I decided to try an outside loop. But the engine stopped just about the time the plane was vertical near the top of the loop. I was able to back up quickly enough to regain line tension. And the plane proceeded to fly into an inverted glide and a gentle landing. So no harm done. But why did it stop? Well I just remounted the plane on the stooge and fired it up. It ran for about 15 seconds. So the problem was I did not know I was almost out of fuel. Should have waited for the beginning of the next flight to start maneuvering. Just typical teething problems. I am not really used to flying this plane. It will take me a while to get a good feel for the amount of time this plane will fly on a tank of fuel.
It does seem to be pretty well trimmed. About twenty more flights on it should begin to give me the feeling that I know what I am doing when I am flying it.
Pictures to follow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home