Control Line Model Airplanes

Control line sport flyer's forum for musings, experiences, thoughts, obsessions, creative ideas, etc. Of course I would rather be flying.

Name:
Location: Walkersville, Maryland, United States

Old man.

Saturday, April 09, 2005

Spring Flying - Clowniac

Fortunately I had the Clowniac with me last Wednesday. So I still had something to fly after the Streak crapped out. The Clowniac seemed pretty reasonable on the first flight except that I started to get the feeling that it was a little too tail heavy.
So on the second flight I was thinking about wheather I should remove a little tail weight. But I was still doing some stunting. And the wind was picking up and getting a little weird. All of a sudden I tried an inside loop. Just as the nose turned up, a shear wind blew the plane right into the circle at me. Slack lines-no control-then the Clowniac began finishing the loop. I regained a little bit of line tension and gave it up just before it hit the ground. I had never seen a plane caught by the wind that way.
But I was lucky. The plane hit the ground on it's landing gear. The outside leg was buried about 4 or 5 inches into the ground. And it was bent out and up at about a 20 degree angle. Otherwise nothing was broken-not even the prop!
So all I had to do was straighten out the gear with my hands as best I could and keep on flying. I ended up getting three more flights on the Clowniac.
And the winds kept getting worse. As we continued flying a couple of us noticed a several times that at a certain part of the circle our outside wing panels were being lifted by certain shear winds at about the same place I tried the loop and crashed. Needless to say, we did not try any more loops there.
But on my last flight the winds were so bad, I had probably about six laps where I wasn't sure I could even keep the plane airborne. Where do these weird Spring winds come from anyway?
After I got home, I did remove a half ounce of tail weight from the Clowniac.
And the funny part is-I can't wait to go flying again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home